Summer is knocking on the door and this year the meteorologists predict a very hot and dry summer. So it’s not just time for buying swimming costumes it’s also time to replace or service your air conditioner. To make sure your home will be comfortable and air-conditioned in the next few months, read the text below which we prepared for you.
Replace or Repair Your Air Conditioner?
If you are in doubt whether to replace or just repair your air conditioner the crucial thing is the age of your air conditioning device for two reasons.
- First thing to be aware of is that older air conditioning devices waste more energy and have a higher carbon footprint, much more than new modern energy-efficient devices. That will definitely save you a lot of money in the long-term and you will take more care of the environment and breathe cleaner, healthier air.
- The second thing to consider is that the old models of AC units use the R22 Refrigerant, more known to the people as „Freon“. In Canada, as well as many other countries, the government has banned this very dangerous substance, which is very harmful to the ozone layer. So, from January 1 this year, you will likely have a problem finding help and recharging in case of Freon leak. You may simply have to move on and buy a new unit.
How Long Can an AC Unit Serve Me?
On average, an air conditioner can serve you about 12 to 15 years. If you bought an air conditioner recently or if you are an organized person and you keep all bills and papers in one place there will not be a problem to understand when it is bought.
However, if the air conditioner was already installed in the house where you moved, you will probably need to find more information about the age of the device. It can be fairly simple and quick; you can use Google and search the model, brand name, and serial number. Also, you can check the device, maybe you can find some information too. You can read more about that here.
Therefore, to make a decision whether to fix the old unit or buy a new one, put everything on paper, including what the repair costs are, the age of air conditioning advice, how easy it is to find the parts for the particular model of the device, etc. More likely than not, you will find a clear solution.
Can You Feel the Poor Air Quality?
Air quality in your house depends a lot on an efficient air conditioning system.
When your cooling appliances are damaged or dirty you will easily notice how the air in your house becomes more polluted, how you breathe harder, how moisture appears in the corners of the walls, and how difficult it is to keep the house clean of dust.
It’s not just hassled to clean your house every day, it can also cause some serious problems with your respiratory system and you may develop allergies too. It’s especially serious if you have asthma or similar respiratory health problems.
If you are worried about your home air quality you should keep all this on your mind and if you have some problem with your air conditioning system to contact experts who are skilled at fixing the damage, cleaning the device, or suggesting a replacement for a new one. More often than not, all that is needed is simple maintenance to ensure a healthy environment for you and your loved ones.
Are you paying high bills for electricity?
If you notice that you have been getting bigger electricity bills every month, there must be a reason. Therefore, if your cooling system is suffering from poor energy efficiency, it can require more energy to generate the desired cooling temperature, if the wanted temperature can even be achieved. Not to mention the damage it can cause to the device’s components.
However, since you are not suffering from a change in comfort, you may not notice now that your air conditioning system has a problem until the glitch advances to bigger damage.
By comparing monthly bills you can gain some insight if something changes in the energy efficiency of the device.
How To Ensure My Air Conditioner Works Efficiently?
No matter how old your air conditioner is, there are a couple of practical steps which you can stick to in order to keep your air conditioning device running for as long as possible and to avoid expensive and unnecessary repairs. There are some of the most important:
- Change and clean air filters every month. When you do it for the first time, every subsequent one will be easy for you. You will see, it’s very simple. You can check on YouTube how you can do it.
- Call the experts to clean your air conditioning device once a year, before summer season starts.
- Call support if your air conditioning device is not working very well, if it is very noisy or if it doesn’t cool properly.
Cooling system should be convenient, and it shouldn’t give you a headache. If your current air conditioning system isn’t working as well as you’d like, that can ruin your day and affect your comfort. So, it may be a good time to consider a new air conditioning installation. Replacing the cooling system with a more efficient and modern solution for your house can bring you several benefits including for example your peace of mind, bigger house comfort, lower costs for repairs and bills.